Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Give the British Some Spare Time . . .

. . . and they'll give you a neat little web-ap. The author a popular molecular evolution text has heeded the call of E.O. Wilson and created a webpage for every species known to man. He actually didn't make a separate page for each species, but rather created a website that searches three databases for information on a query species: it looks up the taxonomic name for the species on NCBI, searches the web (using Yahoo) to find up to five images of the query organism, and searches Google Scholar for articles related to that species.

The application (known as iSpecies, which I don't think has anything to do with iMac, iBook, iPod, or I, Robot) is available here.

(via Rod Page's blog)

2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Roderic Page said...

I ma may be Glasgow based but actually I'm a Kiwi.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger RPM said...

My apologies. I'd change the title of the post, but then it would get re-indexed and screw up any incoming links.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home